After just three years of construction, the inauguration ceremony of the Shenzhen International Convention and Exhibition Center was held in Bao’an yesterday.
Located on Fuhai Street in Boa’an, on the East bank of the Pearl River, adjacent to the Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport, this new marvel is now the world’s largest convention and exhibition center.
The Shenzhen International Convention and Exhibition Center combines airport and regional transportation hubs with industrial clusters related to exhibition and trade, innovation and research, international logistics and the airport economy.
The center’s colorful “fishbone-style” roof and layout of the pavilion is inspired by a “wing” and designed to represent “the maritime silk road”.
Equivalent in Size to Six “Bird’s Nests”
A city in and of itself, the new Convention and Exhibition Center is not only the largest single building in Shenzhen, but also the world’s largest scale construction project integrating rail transit, water conservancy, and municipal engineering development. Other notable statistics:
- It has the largest single building in the world, with a total floor area of 1.57 million square meters, equivalent to 6 “Bird’s Nest”.
- It is the largest single construction investment in global construction and safety, with a total investment of RMB 240 billion in the first phase.
- It has the largest single exhibition hall in the world, covering an area of 50000 square meters, is equivalent to 7 standard football pitches.
- Its seamless reinforced concrete structure basement is the largest area and longest length in the world. The basement area is 570000 square meters, the maximum length is 1700 meters.
- Its total steel use is the world’s largest in building construction at 270000 tons, equivalent to 37 Eiffel Towers.
- Earth excavation required for this project was the largest in the world in the field of housing construction, with a total earth excavation amount of 4 million cubic meters; enough to produce a wall 1 meter by 1 meter that can circle Hainan Island 4 times.
- The largest amount of mechanical equipment put into use for building construction at one-time; with 321 cranes of all kinds, 48 of which are tower cranes.
- The first construction project in the world with simultaneous development of subways, municipal roads and facilities, water conservancy and river management.
The center is equipped with 642,000 square meters of functional rooms for conference, office, catering, warehousing, etc., with an underground garage of about 563,000 square meters.
The National Exhibition Interchange project connecting the Yanjiang Expressway has been fully completed, and the roads in the area have basically been open to traffic.
In order to ensure the smooth operation of Shenzhen International Convention and Exhibition Center, a total of 87 municipal infrastructure and public service facilities were completed, including 34 new construction and reconstruction roads, 6 integrated pipe corridors, 6 bridges, and 3 bus connection projects. There are 20 projects and 18 public facilities. Among them, 23 new roads were built, with a total length of about 35 kilometers.
Before the completion of Metro Line 20, the Shenzhen International Convention and Exhibition Center will rely on Metro Line 11. Three new connecting transportation lines are in the works.