According to Shekou News, the Shenzhen Municipal Bureau of Justice announced that it is speeding up the construction of the public security prevention and control system, and cracking down on and punishing illegal criminal activities such as gambling and scams. To do so, the city is vigorously promoting the construction of the “Xueliang Project;” which will bring the total number of various types of security cameras in Shenzhen to 2 million. The project plans to:
- Build 20,000 new high definition cameras;
- Transform more than 20,000 standard-definition cameras to high definition,
- Create 20,000 new facial recognition systems, and
- Build 200,000 sets of video access control systems in the city’s urban villages to realize the networking of all systems.
By 2020, the number of high definition cameras in Shenzhen will exceed 100,000, the number of standard definition cameras will be 1.9 million; bringing the total number of cameras as high as 2 million. The distribution density of cameras in Shenzhen is among the highest in the country.
Privacy Concerns and Citizens’ Rights
The regulations clarify that the government and its relevant competent authorities are responsible for the management of video image information systems. Public safety video image information systems are prohibited in places and areas involving public privacy such as public baths, restrooms, changing rooms, and nursing rooms.
Citizens who suffer major losses due to personal, property and other rights and interests may request to review the system. If the situation is urgent, the public security video image information system can use the public security video image information system to check the information related to the public security video image information system, but it cannot be copied.
The regulations also emphasize privacy protection, ensure information security, ensure that national security, public safety and citizen privacy are not leaked, and achieve the unification of safeguarding public interests and safeguarding human rights.
A Call For Comments
In accordance with laws and regulations, the Shenzhen Municipal Public Security Bureau drafted the “Shenzhen Special Economic Zone Public Security Video Image Information System Management Regulations (Draft for Review)” and submitted it to the Shenzhen Municipal Bureau of Justice for review, forming the “Shenzhen Special Economic Zone Public Security Video”. The Image Information System Management Regulations (Draft for Comment) (referred to as the Regulations) has been opened to the public for comments. During the review period, the Shenzhen Municipal Bureau of Justice will also organize relevant industry associations, business representatives and CPPCC members to hold a discussion.
Relevant units and people from all walks of life can submit their opinions by April 30, 2019 by:
- Submit an opinion online through the “Interactive Communication-Public Polling-Current Collection” section of the official website of Shenzhen Justice Bureau.
- Send the comments by letter to: Room C5085, Citizen Center, Fuzhong 3rd Road, Futian District, Shenzhen (postal code: 518035), and please indicate the words “Legislative for Comments” on the envelope.
- Send the comments by email to: [email protected]