Shenzhen American International School (SAIS) is a Cognia accredited school which was established upon the approval of both the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and the Department of Education of Guangdong Province in May, 2005. SAIS provides quality education services to foreign nationals as well as students from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.
SAIS uses a rigorous Project-Based Learning approach to supplement high-quality academic instruction by serving grades pre-K to 12.We teach an American curriculum, following the Common Core State Standards, the Next Generation Science Standards, the AERO Social Studies Standards, and American national standards in Music, Physical Education and Art. Starting in Grade 9 we offer Pre-Advanced Placement and Advanced Placement (AP) subjects. After graduating from SAIS, students have the opportunity to continue their education in America and around the world. SAIS students consistently score strongly in college acceptance tests.
Facilities are excellent and include a high-quality building for academic instruction with PE and sports carried out in the adjacent Shekou Youth Sports Center and the Shekou outdoor Sports Center where there is an 8 lane 400 meter all weather track, Football (soccer) pitch, 5 – a -side soccer pitches and Basketball courts.
SAIS is located on the west side of Sihai Park. The park is a 13.5 hectares learning lab for the study of flora, fauna, climate, air and water quality, as well as micro environments. Learning in the park is not limited to science, as the prospects for math, humanities, physical activity and the arts abound in Sihai.
Project Based Learning Explained
A Project Based environment looks different than a traditional classroom. Students gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to an engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge. Rigorous projects help students learn key academic content and use them within the appropriate context and also emphasizes critical thinking, collaboration, and creativity as they construct high-quality, authentic products & presentations. These experiences cultivate future entrepreneurs, scientists, inventors and leaders of the world.
Many schools in the United States and around the world have implemented or are moving toward PBL in their classrooms. For more information visit these websites: hightechhigh.org (leading U.S. schools using PBL); www.pblworks.org (PBL Works); www.newtechnetwork.org (America’s largest network of PBL schools) and edutopia.org (education organization founded by George Lucas).
The mission of SAIS is to provide a progressive American style learning environment where all students develop and apply the knowledge, skills and habits of mind necessary for academic, workplace and personal success anywhere in the world.
- Respect: We treat ourselves, our community, and those we encounter with respect.
- Caring: We take care of ourselves and those around us.
- Inclusiveness: Each member of our community has a unique personality, interests, and needs. We want to include them and learn from them.
- Responsibility: We strive to be responsible, self-managing and self-starting.
- Integrity: We know that solving meaningful problems requires opportunity, support, skills, experience, creativity, and resilience. We strive to be out honest selves.
- Courage: We move forward into the unknown with our friends, classmates, teachers, and family by our side. We gain success through trying.
- All teachers design quality project-based experiences that require students to be immersed in the process of learning: exploring, discussing, designing, reflecting and refining. Projects are based on national standards.
- Each student’s learning is personalized according to readiness level, experience, interests and skill.
- All students have multiple opportunities to present their learning to an authentic audience and receive appropriate feedback from community experts as well as in the classroom.
- All students are taught to read, write, speak and listen in English just as students in the United States would be.
- Students, staff and faculty work together to make our school a safe, engaging, rigorous, learning environment.
BENEFITS OF A SMALL SCHOOL: SAIS, Small but Mighty
The advantages of smallness can be summarized as follows:
- Students are at the center of the school.
- SAIS puts emphasis on students’ interactive activities, teamwork, and performance.
- Teachers bring their passion into the classroom and help guide the students to explore the world.
- Low student-teacher ratios allow for more individualized instruction and more attention given to students.
- Relationships between students, parents, teachers, administrators help to engage the community in the learning process.
- Parental and community involvement is encouraged and emphasized.
Admissions are accepted at all times as SAIS has a rolling admissions policy. You are invited to make an appointment with the SAIS Admissions office to tour the site and learn more about Shenzhen American International School.
We hope to see you all in the very near future.