Taking a Shenzhen Pet overseas via Hong Kong by Accompanied Baggage

Zachary Kever   |   August 23, 2021

UniGroup Worldwide UTS Shenzhen is a household goods moving company with our office located in Shekou at the Minghua Convention Center and our warehouse at the Shekou Port area. Our worldwide headquarters are in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. We are a part of the United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit group of companies. In Shenzhen we also offer assistance in exporting your pet via Hong Kong airport.

Before you start to consider taking your pet via Hong Kong airport you need to check with your airline if your destination country will accept pets from China. There are many countries around the world that do not accept pets from China or that require quarantine at destination country. If your pet is going to a country that accepts animals from China such as USA and Canada and your airline accepts bookings by accompanied baggage then UniGroup Shenzhen can help you with the China export documentation to enable your pet to fly via Hong Kong. Note the size of your pet should be relatively small (less than 7 kgs to enable you to take as accompanied baggage. Check with your airline to confirm their policies.

To take a pet from Shenzhen to overseas we need to follow the below steps:

Step 1:

 Take rabies shot and vaccinations for the pet. Please note the injection date should be more than 30 days and less than 1 year prior to the flight date.

Required documentation: Pet, pet’s photo & information, your Passport

Step 2:

We need to apply for a Chinese Health Certificate; The Chinese Authorities will need to see your pet and disinfect the pet’s cage. This will take around 30 minutes.

Required documentation: vaccination book (will get from Step 1) + your original

passport + pet’s photo + pet (needs to be done about 1 week before departure)

Step 3:

Then we need go to China Customs to apply for the quarantine certificate, they will also check the health of your pet. It takes around 30 minutes, but will take about 5 working days to get the certificate.

Required documentation: vaccination book (Will get from Step 1) + Health Certificate (will get from Step 2) + your original passport + passport copy +pet’s photo + pet (done about 1 week before departure; Step 2 and 3 can be done on same day)

Step 4:

Apply for a transit permit from Hong Kong Agriculture and Fisheries Commission if leaving thru Hong Kong. (Needs to be done well in advance of the flight and can be done before Step 1 however we need flight information in order to apply for transit permit).

After we have done Steps 1-4 you will need to arrange for a cross border van to pick you up on the day of your flight around 4-5 hours prior to your departure in Hong Kong. We will schedule a person from the Hong Kong Agriculture and Fisheries Commission to meet you at the Shenzhen Bay Border and accompany you to the Hong Kong Airport to ensure your pet gets on its intended flight.

For your destination customs information this differs depending on the final country. We recommend you contact your airlines to have them go over any required documentation needed upon you and your pet’s arrival.

Please contact UniGroup Shenzhen well in advance of your flight to go over the necessary requirements and timeline. A quick meeting at our Shekou office will ensure everything goes well during your pets’ transport. For more information, please feel free to contact :

Mr. QC Wu
Import Manager and Pet Expert
UniGroup Worldwide UTS Shenzhen
Rm 1810, Blk C, Bldg 2, Minghua Convention Center
8 Guishan Rd, Nanshan District, Shenzhen, PRC 518067 T: +86 755 2683 9330
M: +86 186 76777 366
E: [email protected]