If you plan to drive around China, the first thing you should know is that an International Driver’s License is not recognized so you should get a Chinese Driver’s License. If that will be easy, it depends on whether or not this is the first time in your life to get a driver’s license.
Getting a driver’s license in China as an expat is fairly easy. Applying for a Chinese driver’s license is one of your entitlements as a foreigner permitted to reside in the People’s Republic of China. You can get a driving license in Shenzhen or any city so there is no need to travel far from where you are.
The following are the steps or procedures to guide you on how to get a driver’s license in China:
- Go to the Automobile Administrative Office, Foreign Affairs Branch and get an application to take the driver’s license test and the list of accredited hospitals and clinics where you can take the physical exam.
- Take and pass these tests. You are required to take and pass a
• Physical Exam from accredited Chinese hospital or clinics. This is to determine if you are fit enough to drive on the roads of China.
• A Written (computerized) Test. If you do not speak Chinese you can bring a friend or translator. An English version of the test is available in major cities. Go to the testing center on time because if you are late you have to get another appointment to get it. There are one hundred questions for you to answer and you should get 90% correctly for you to pass it.
• Real-life Driving Test if you do not have an international driver’s license. There is no need to take this if you have an international driver’s license but you are required to present your home country’s driver’s license and its translation. This shows you really are driving.
The following documents are necessary for you to acquire a driver’s license:
• passport with visa
• Chinese residence permit
• driver’s license from your home country if any, and the translation
• 4 pieces passport photos
• results of your medical exam
• application form
Of course there are fees you have to pay to complete the process. Your driver’s license will be ready for pick up after a week.
You can now enjoy driving around Shenzhen or any place in China.
For Further Reading:
Quality Service Taxis In Shenzhen Will Safely Take You Anywhere You Want
Know the Basics When Dealing with Bad Taxi Service
Other Related Topics:
Chinese Driving Licence Exam Question Bank
The whole works of getting(conversion) a driver’s license in shenzhen